Thursday 22 July 2010

The Skyline in Lowestoft has changed

Those of you that are connected with me on Facebook will probably recognise this picture of me taken by Antonella last year in Lowestoft as I often use it as my profile picture. I was taking a picture of the thing on the right with the many legs when Antonella grabbed a rare picture of me rather than a picture by me.

The many legged thing is a 3000 tonne Jack-up-platform called Excalibur and is the largest owned by Fugro-Seacore

The now finished (and now much much bigger) structure on the left by my elbow has been in the news this week as it is finally out at sea being towed to the oil field on the Norwegian side of the North Sea - amusingly for a pedant like me the Norwich Evening News had the headline "Massive construction sales out to sea at Lowestoft" maybe from the Lowestoft branch of DFS ?

The Structure is an LQ or Living Quarters module and is in effect a floating hotel for oil workers in the Valhall oilfield and is the product of over 3 million man hours by workers from Lowestoft based SLP.

The LQ provides offshore accommodation for 180 people and includes an atrium, gym, 'town hall', saunas and heli-deck. The Atrium is required to ensure that all of the bedrooms have natural light as that is a Norwegian legal requirement, seems they treat their oil workers than we treat ours

Unfortunately SLP went into administration in November 2009 and PricewaterhouseCoopers (PWC) are looking for a buyer for the business. For the sake of the 1400 people who worked on the LQ lets hope that they find a buyer soon. And of course it would be nice to have some new interesting clients with interesting products to work with too


5 comments:

Unknown said...

very interesting stuff! I wasn't aware of all this news.
I hope the platform finds a buyer as so much local investment has been put into it.

PS hope you keep the image as your profile pic ;)

Paul Davis said...

The Platform is being delivered to it's owner in Valhall oil field (a well know British oil company). SLP was able to complete the construction while it was in administration

Peek at My Paper said...

Hello Paul
Thanks for stopping by Peek at My Paper and linking up! I love photography as well. Of course, I just do it for fun and not as business - but sites like yours are a great inspiration.
Have a great weekend.
Brenda

Peter said...

As one pedant to another, let us or let's hope that a buyer is soon found for LQ......

Paul Davis said...

Actually being a pedant back again, the LQ has always had an owner (I believe an UK oil company with a green and yellow logo)

It was the maker of the LQ that needs a buyer